Land & Investment Specialist
Bob is a Broker/Owner of Coldwell Banker First Equity. He has been in the real estate business and real estate development for over 40 years. Four times Bob had been recognized by Coldwell Banker Commercial as the #1 Commercial Broker in the state of Texas.
AFFILIATIONS AND AWARDS
SIOR Member – The SIOR designation is a professional achievement for highly qualified commercial real estate practitioners with a strong transactional history in brokerage, fee-based services, or executive management.
Member of North Texas Commercial, Texas, and National Associations of Realtors
Since the downtown office building boom of the late 1970’s – early 1980’s, no multiple tenant office buildings have been built in downtown Amarillo. Only three full city block assemblages have taken place since that time period, all occurring in the past five years with Bob Garrett or other Coldwell Banker team members representing the acquiring parties:
- Full block acquisition for Happy State Bank’s downtown drive-up facility
- Full block acquisition for Toot ‘N Totum Food Stores, the dominant convenience store operator in the Amarillo market.
- One and a half city blocks assembled for development immediately east of the City of Amarillo municipal buildings. The land is currently improved with occupied warehouses serving as the placeholder for development.
Public Incentive Experience
Bob Garrett and other Coldwell Banker team members have been involved in several projects involving the City of Amarillo and various entities to bring Ben E. Keith distribution warehouse and a Nationwide Insurance Company call center to Amarillo
Multi-Use Development Acquisition Activities
Currently there are three major active subdivisions in southwest Amarillo, the pre-dominant growth corridor for Amarillo: The Greenways, The Colonies, and Hillside Terrace. Additionally, the Hillside Terrace developer is land banking a 645 acre site for future development. Between 1988 and 2009 Bob Garrett completed the initial assemblage for three of the four subdivisions. The Colonies acquisition involved de-annexing approximately 500 acres from the Canyon Independent School District and annexing that acreage into the Amarillo Independent School District. The average size of the three parcels acquired by Garrett on behalf of clients was 600 acres.
Suburban Tract Activity (a sample of recent 8 to 100 acre acquisition transactions)
- Acquired four sites for a major Oklahoma apartment developer. The latest acquisition closed after a nine month negotiation with the city of Amarillo and the adjacent upscale neighborhood association concerning platting, zoning, site planning, and development standards. Garrett served as the developer’s representative in all phases of the predevelopment negotiations.
- Garrett assembled a 40 acre tract in northwest Amarillo that was subsequently developed for a Lowes Home Improvement Center and additional out parcels. A key element of this transaction was a difficult negotiation with the Texas Department of Transportation to provide controlled access to the site (a signal light) on U.S. Highway 66. This negotiation was tasked to Garrett by Lowes and the land developer.
- Garrett has represented two local investment groups in the acquisition of over 1,000 acres for speculative investment purposes. Parcel sizes have ranged between 100 and 650 acres.
- Garrett completed the acquisition and development of a prime 18 acre tract along the southwest loop by a Dallas-based developer for retail development including a major supermarket.
- For nearly ten years Garrett has represented the Harrington Regional Medical Center in the management and disposition of its 100 acres located on the medical center campus. Dispositions have involved both for- profit and non-profit medical related users.
- Additionally, Garrett has represented both buyers and sellers of numerous parcels for various uses including hospitality, retail, restaurant, general office, medical office, and warehouse activities.
Site Acquisition Technical Experience
During his career, Garrett and another Coldwell Banker partner have developed over 2,200 multi-family units in West Texas, Arizona and Colorado, over 70,000 square feet of multiple tenant office space in Amarillo, and a 54 unit condominium project in Beaver Creek, Colorado. All aspects of development protocol have been involved including absorption analysis, access studies, drive-time analysis to major employers, utility infrastructure, platting and zoning. Having been an end user acquirer of real estate has provided invaluable experience for Garrett’s brokerage clients.
Medical Project Management
Bob Garrett’s extensive development experience has translated well into providing project management services for clients. Recent projects include a 24,000 square foot, $7,000,000 office building for Amarillo Bone & Joint, one of Amarillo’s premier orthopedic surgical groups; and a 14,000 square foot, $6,000,000 office and surgical center for Proffer Surgical Associates. Finally, because of Garrett’s project management experience, he recently served as chairman of the Amarillo Country Club’s $3,600,000 golf course renovation committee. He personally negotiated and supervised the four major contractors (golf course designer, general contractor, the irrigation contractor, and the civil engineering firm).
Professionally Bob has served as
- President of the Texas Association of Realtors
- President of the North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors
- Executive Committee of the National Association of Realtors
- Realtor of the Year for the State of Texas
- President of the Amarillo Association of Realtors
- Realtor of the Year for the Amarillo Association of Realtors
- Vice Chair of the Potter County Appraisal District
- Director of the West Texas A&M University Foundation
- Director of the Texas Association of Realtors
- Director of the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce
Local and National Clients
- Xcel Energy
- Amarillo Economic Development Corporation
- City of Amarillo
- Randall County
- Amarillo College
- Amarillo Bone & Joint
- Access Credit Union
- Happy State Bank
- Bank of America
- Panhandle Eye Group
- Proffer Surgical Associates
- Hillside Christian Church
- United Supermarkets
- Affiliated, Foods, Inc
- Harrington Regional Medical Center, Inc.
- Maxor National Corporation
- Amarillo Community Federal Credit Union
- Sprouse Shrader Smith Law Firm
- Bivins Foundation
- AIG Annuity Insurance Company
- Coca-Cola Distribution
- Baptist Community Services
- Cactus Feeders, Inc.
- Salvation Army
- Faith City Mission
- American Quarter Horse Association
- Toot N’ Totum
- Case Properties
- Numerous Banks, Law Firms & Local Companies
- Numerous Doctors, Dentist, Medical Facilities & Clinics